My cooking notes:
- 1/4 cup=4 tablespoons, 0.25 ml or 56.5 grammes
- Multi cooker model here is Instant Pot DUO 7-1.
- The Instant Pot cooks a quarter, half or full pot with the whole wings, drumsticks, turkey drumsticks. The cooking time will be the same.
- Use to make homemade marinades and seasoning rubs, but these are my favourite ready-made spices; McCormick Smokehouse Maple and Montreal steak seasoning.
- BBQ charcoal smokiness comes straight from the BBQ grill or smoker. I use liquid smoke to recreate this by adding it to the cooking liquid in the pot.
- Sweetness is added by using palm sugar or substitute with brown sugar or a combination of sugar and honey (2+2 tbs).
- 2 lbs chicken wings (frozen or thawed) I used a combination of 1 kg chicken wings (wingtips with drumettes attached) plus 1 kg chopped Chicken legs (in 3 pieces).
- For a little bit of heat, I added a blend of 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne pepper and 1 tsp crushed chilli peppers.
Change the flavours by alternating between Thai Siracha sauce, (Indonesian Sambal paste), Sambal Badjak. A bit closer to home opt for Portuguese/African Piri Piri spice blend 1-2 tbs. My dinner guests will ultimately inspire the level of heat and spiciness.
Sticky BBQ chicken wings recipe for Instant Pot
Tips for Keto, LCHF, Paleo and T2D (type 2 diabetes)
- Make your own sugar-free bbq sauce or order online a good brand as in the recommendation ads here below.
- For my smoothies and baked goods, I use erythritol, inulin, stevia and Chinese Lo Han Guo as sweeteners.
- Favourite sugar-free option I recommend Lakanto monk fruit sugar it has 0 calories. Great sweet taste no off flavours as with stevia. You also can use Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup instead of honey.
- For sticky BBQ chicken wings use this sugar-free option to substitute for using high-calorie sugars.
- Luo Han Guo is a low-caloric, low-glycemic food used as a sweetener in beverages and cooked food.
Using this sweetener in Chinese herbal teas and cooking I am familiar with the level of sweetness. It never occurred to me how beneficial the health benefits are having a hidden agent as a health aid.
Luo Han Guo, monk fruit is native to southern China. In TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) it is been used as a traditional medicine to treat obesity and diabetes.
Luo Han Guo is a low-caloric, low-glycemic food used as a sweetener in beverages and cooked food extremely sweet (about 300 times as sweet as sugar). You can purchase this online or purchase Lo Han Guo tea and powder at Asian and Chinese supermarkets and Chinese herbal shops.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links By purchasing through these links Asianfoodtrail earns a small commission, however you pay the same price for the item (it does not increase). The full disclaimer and disclosure transcript link can be found on the left sidebar or click here.
Sticky BBQ Chicken Wings recipe Instant Pot
By June 27, 2017Published:
- Yield: 2 kg (4-8 Servings)
- Prep: 5-7 mins
- Cook: 10-12 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
Chicken wings and legs prepared in the Instant Pot coated in homemade BBQ sauce. To finish put the wings on the grill or oven to crisp the skin and turn golden brown.
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce Homemade bbq sauce or favourite brand, see notes for sugar-free options
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cup palm sugar substitute brown sugar or honey. Sugar free options* Lakanto 0 calories
- 2 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar worchestershire sauce or balsamico
- 1 ½ tbsp minced garlic
- ½-1 tbsp salt & black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey sugar free options: see note information
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke optional
- 2 kg whole chickenwings whole or wings, drumettes, drumstick pieces.
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes cayenne pepper or mix both
- 2 kg whole chickenwings
- Season the chicken wings and chicken parts with salt, pepper, rub it in.
- Set the IP on sauté.
- Add all the other ingredients in the IP give it a good stir blending it together and let it bubble into a sauce thickness. Taste if it needs any adjustments.
- Followed by the chicken wings and chopped chicken leg pieces, mix it all around covered in sauce.
- Put the lid on turn switch the valve on close to seal off the vent, then press on High pressure and time for 10 minutes for fresh or 12 minutes for frozen meat.
- When done and alarm sound goes off, turn the valve to open for a quick pressure release. Set the IP on sauté.
- Have a sheet pan with grill ready and transfer all the wings and pieces on top.
- In the meantime, cook the sauce till its reduced by half or desired thickness, taste and add seasoning if needed. Than baste over the chicken wings and pieces put it under the grill for 3-5 min.
- Take it out, turn it around and baste again with the sauce back under the grill for another 3-5 min. Keep an eye so it’s nicely charred not burned.
- Serve hot or warm with the sauce next and start dipping its finger licking good. Enjoy!
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress